The Tour Castles and Traditions of Alentejo + Extremadura responds to the interest of our clients for the rich historical and cultural heritage of Alentejo. A heritage so important that it is internationally recognised in some UNESCO distinctions.
We visit picturesque cities, towns and villages. We relive history in castles and forts after driving up the hills. Endless plains and the largest lake in Europe await our contemplation. We find the Alentejo arts and craftsmen.
We also explore the areas where the populations of Portugal and Spain have been sharing bonds for centuries through historical, linguistic, cultural and economic elements. Therefore, we discover common features and also what distinguishes these two countries when we cross the border. Visiting Spain is a magnificent bonus for those who are travelling in Portugal and didn’t even imagine that this opportunity exists.
Itinerary Tour Castles and Traditions of Alentejo + Extremadura (Spain)
- Departure from Evora
- Azaruja – visit to a cork factory
- Arraiolos – visit to the historical centre, Arraiolos Carpet Museum and circular castle
- Evoramonte – visit to the castle and view over the cork forest (in clean weather, we can see Serra da Estrela, Portugal’s highest sierra)
- Estremoz – visit to the castle
- Elvas – visit to the historical centre, Amoreira Aqueduct and Graça Fort of this UNESCO world heritage city
- Overnight stay in Badajoz
- Badajoz – visit to the historical centre
- Departure from Badajoz
- Olivenza – visit to the centre of this former Portuguese city, the only one in Spain where it is possible to see the Manueline style
- Overnight stay in Monsaraz
- Monsaraz – visit to this medieval village overlooking Lake Alqueva, the largest in Europe
- Departure from Monsaraz
- Alqueva Dam Wall
- Portel – visit to the castle and to Alto de São Pedro (highest point of the Portel mountain range, with observation of the Alentejo’s cork forest)
- Alcáçovas – visit to a traditional cowbell workshop (UNESCO world heritage site) and to the Palace of the Henriques
- End of the tour in Evora
Tour Castles and Traditions of Alentejo + Extremadura (Spain) | 3 days – Prices and terms
Prices (per vehicle)
The tour is private. We do not mix clients from different groups.
From 980€ on a 7-seat van
From 1280€ on a historic classic car
Driver / guide
Entrances to the monuments
Everything not mentioned as included
- The tour is private, so it can be changed according to your preferences.
- All the visits will be accompanied by a guide.
- If you are travelling with children, we appreciate age information to have the appropriate chairs available. We will be happy to adapt the itinerary according to the needs of your children.
- This tour is an exclusive partnership between Visitevora and a partner tour operator that we consider to be an option of excellence in this type of tours.
Fill in the contact form to book, ask us questions or suggest another tour in Alentejo.
Share this page with friends! Invite them to join us in our Tour Castles and Traditions of Alentejo + Extremadura (Spain) | 3 days.