A tour to Elvas from Évora is something that many visitors look for, because these two cities are considered world heritage by UNESCO. What we offer in this route is a visit to Elvas with transport from Évora and a guide who will help you in your discoveries of places and history.
This guided visit to Elvas allows you to fully understand the importance of its strategic position near the border with Spain. We find its military history in our tour in the well-preserved centre and the emblematic Forte de Nossa Senhora da Graça, one of the largest and best-preserved fortifications in the world.
Visiting Elvas also means finding a rich religious heritage made up of churches, convents and the sanctuary of Senhor Jesus da Piedade (Lord Jesus of Pity). And, of course, we wouldn’t leave the city without seeing the iconic Amoreira Aqueduct, one of the most important examples of hydraulic architecture in Portugal.
Other places to visit in the Elvas Tour
Our Elvas Tour doesn’t just focus on this city. In the morning we will have time to visit the most important sights of Vila Viçosa. Today known for the precious marble that is extracted in the region, it was extremely important for the history of Portugal. We will visit its castle (14th century) and the wonderful Ducal Palace (16th century). The latter became the royal holiday residence during the reign of King João IV (17th century).
In the middle of the afternoon, after the guided tour in Elvas, and returning to Évora, we will still have the opportunity to meet the powerful Evoramonte Castle. On the top of a high mountain of the Sierra d’Ossa, this fortification was originally built to protect the medieval village in 1306. Later, in 1834, it had a major role in the history of Portugal because the Convention of Evoramonte was signed here, putting an end to the Portuguese Civil War (1828-1834). The view of the Alentejo landscape from the walls that embrace the slopes is simply breathtaking.
This tour to Elvas, departing and arriving in Evora (or from another point in the Alentejo) is perfect for the guide of your private group to present you, in the historical sites, the mysteries that they hide. In an informal but personalised way, with no questions left unanswered.
Itinerary of Elvas Tour
Duration: around 7h
- Departure from Evora
- Vila Viçosa – visit to the castle and palace
- Elvas – visit to the historic centre, Amoreira Aqueduct and Graça Fort
- Evoramonte – visit to the castle and observation of the landscape
- End of tour in Evora
Elvas Tour | Unesco world heritage city
Prices per vehicle (meals not included)
The tour is private. We do not mix clients from different groups.
From 300€ on a 7-seat van
From 450€ on a historic classic car
Driver / guide
Entrances to monuments
Everything not mentioned as included
- Our tours are private (you will not join any group except your own friends/relatives), so they can be changed according to your preferences.
- All the visits are accompanied by a guide.
- You can start the tour in any other place in Alentejo (request a quote)
- If you are travelling with children, we appreciate age information to have the appropriate car seats available. We will be happy to adapt the itinerary according to the needs of your children.
- This tour is an exclusive partnership between Visitevora and a partner tour operator that we consider to be an option of excellence in this type of tours.
Fill in the contact form to book, ask us questions or suggest changes to this Evora-Elvas-Evora tour.
Share this page with friends! Invite them to join us in our Elvas Tour.