Renting a car in Alentejo is an exciting way to explore the region.
We do have private car tours designed specifically for those who love to just relax during their holidays while learning more and more from locals. But we understand that driving yourself while travelling through Portugal is a different adventure.
The roads in Alentejo are in good condition and have little traffic. They are also usually straight because… well, the terrain is mostly flat. So, expect a peaceful drive all-around. Go inland. Drive to the Alentejo Coast. Just relax.
In fact, you will have tranquility driving throughout the whole interior of Portugal, but the roads in the Centre and North have more curves. A landscape of surprises after each one, for sure.
As for the strip of the country near the coast North of Lisbon, it is indeed busier, but nothing you can’t manage, for sure. Probably less busy than your own city.
Oh, and did I mention that there are highways/motorways from North to South? Yes, also from Lisbon to Évora. For those drives meant to be fast from point A to point B.
Renting a car in Portugal and Alentejo
Many people contact us saying that the price of rental cars in Portugal they found was really expensive. You wouldn’t believe the prices my clients find before reaching out and using the right tools to rent a car in Portugal or elsewhere in the world!
Most international car rental companies operate in Portugal, side by side with some regional ones. But comparing prices can be time-consuming. Enters Rentalcars, a company which is part of Booking.com, where you can book your hotel in Portugal. Basically, it does with cars what Booking does with hotels.
This is the solution I found when travelling with my family throughout the world. For me, the big advantages of Rentalcars are that, in the same website, you can:
- compare prices in different companies;
- find deals;
- choose the most convenient pick-up and return location;
- decide on the most suitable type of car from a vast number of possibilities (transmission, size, number of doors, etc);
- verify ratings based on other people’s experiences;
- make free cancellations and changes to your booking;
- choose the included insurance or add more protection;
- reserve add-ons such as child seats/boosters or GPS;
- book directly online.
Rent a car at cities in Portugal
Bear in mind that, because the offer is much larger, renting a car in bigger cities such as Lisbon, Porto or Faro will get you the better deals. You can find prices as low as 30€/day. But you may also prefer a more luxurious or bigger vehicle to accommodate your group.
- Check out rental car services in Lisbon
- Check out rental car services in Porto
- Check out rental car services in Faro, Algarve
- Check out rental car services in Evora
- Check out rental car services in Cascais
- Check out rental car services in Lagos, Algarve
Rent a car at airports in Portugal
Do you want to start exploring Portugal on your own as soon as you land in Portugal? There are 3 international airports in the country from which you can pick-up your car. Prices are usually lower because of competition between several companies.
- Check out rental car services in Lisbon Airport
- Check out rental car services in Porto Airport
- Check out rental car services in Faro Airport
If you are staying in a city not mentioned above or, at the moment, are not yet sure about your itinerary, start by verifying prices and conditions of rental cars in Portugal.
If you would still prefer to visit the region in one of our Alentejo private tours, make your choice and contact us.
In case you decided to venture on your own rented car, please, check out our Experiences in Alentejo, to which you can self drive.
Regardless of the way you choose to explore the Alentejo, a third of the Portuguese territory, it will definitely be one of your best travel memories. Enjoy your time here!